Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Antiques in Gardens!

I love using antiques and pieces of architectural salvage in gardens. There is something so similar in the feeling a garden provides and that of an antique. They are reminders of simpler times and simple pleasures and that is why they work so well together. I love this bike my mother-in-law, Mary, uses in her front garden.
My dad, my antiquing partner in crime, gave me this awesome old chimney. Some years I will even put a potted plant on it. Either way it makes a statement.
The black salvage piece is from an old house in New Orleans. Funny story about this piece, I bought it because it was perfectly old and rusty. My husband hired some older gentlemen to paint our front porch, and they thought they were being nice by spraying the "rusty old garden ornament" to make it look nice and new. Oh no!!! It is finally starting to get its rusty charm back.

This garden fountain was another find of my dad's! I am so happy my sister does not share my love of antiques!

No comments:

Post a Comment